20. Julia Warhola moved to New York to live with her son in 1952. Warhol and his mother would live together until 1971, a year before she passed away.
21. His mother often contributed artistically to Warhol’s paintings, and would sometimes sign them for him.
22. Warhol was a self-proclaimed “mama’s boy.”
24. Warhol enjoyed eating alone, and wanted to open a chain of restaurants called “ANDY-MATS — ‘The Restaurant for the Lonely Person.'”
25. Marcel Duchamp and Andy Warhol met in Pasadena in 1963, when Warhol was exhibiting his paintings of Elizabeth Taylor and Elvis Presley. The Andy Warhol Museum‘s current exhibit Twisted Pair: Marcel Duchamp/Andy Warhol, investigates the two artists’ relationship.
26. While Warhol was in LA, Dennis Hopper threw him a “movie star party.”
27. Warhol designed the costumes for the 1963 Broadway production of James Thurber’s The Beast in Me, but wasn’t credited because he wasn’t a union member.
28. The New York City Police Department confiscated Andy Warhol films Jack Smith filming Normal Love (1963). The film was later lost.
29. Warhol rented an abandoned firehouse as a painting studio before moving to the original Factory in 1964 on 231 East 47th Street.