1. Transcendental Youth, The Mountain Goats’ 15th studio LP, is due out on October 2nd! According to the John Hodgman-penned press release, it’s “full of songs about people who madly, stupidly, blessedly won’t stop surviving, no matter who gives up on them.” Also just announced: the details on Grizzly Bear’s fourth album Shields, which will be arriving in September.
2. ABC has ordered a new reality TV cooking competition called The Taste that will be co-hosted by Anthony Bourdain and Nigella Lawson. “Four culinary experts will each mentor a team of competing pro and amateur cooks as they vie to turn out the tastiest dish,” reports Deadline. “The groups will face team and individual challenges through elimination rounds.”
3. Word is that Philip Seymour Hoffman has signed on to play Plutarch Heavensbee — the new Head Gamemaker who may or may not be on Katniss’ side — in the Hunger Games sequel, Catching Fire. [via E!]
4. We’re not sure how we feel about 4-D movie theaters becoming a thing, but apparently over the next five years more than 200 locations that will feature everything from moving seats to “nozzles that spray mist, water, bubbles, or even scents” will be opening around the US. [via Slashfilm]
5. Oscar-winning actor Ernest Borgnine — who played a slew of villainous roles over the years, but you’d probably best recognize as the scheming naval officer from McHale’s Navy — has died at the age of 95. [via EW]