1. Chris Marker, the renowned French New Wave filmmaker who made such classics as La jetée and Sans Soleil and paved the way for a more personal style of documentary film, is dead at 91. [via Guardian]
2. Last night, Animal Collective premiered “Today’s Supernatural,” the first single from their forthcoming album, Centipede Hz. The track debuted on their new radio show, which will air every Sunday night through August 19th. Listen to it here.
3. Three members of Pussy Riot, the riot grrrl-influenced Russian band and activist collective that invoked the Virgin Mary in a “punk prayer” against Vladimir Putin, went on trial this morning on charges of hooliganism. Musicians including Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Franz Ferdinand, Beastie Boys, and Le Tigre have taken up their cause. Click here to support Amnesty’s campaign to release these political prisoners. [via Variety]
4. The Dark Knight Rises continued to dominate the weekend box office, despite ticket sales falling over 53% compared to last week’s debut. Its ten-day gross of $289 million places it behind its predecessor, The Dark Knight, which made $313.8 million in the same period of time. [via AP]
5. Congratulations, Zack Morris! Former Saved by the Bell actor — and current Franklin & Bash star — Mark-Paul Gosselaar married ad exec Catriona McGinn on Saturday at a California winery. [via CBS News]