1. Tony Scott, the 68-year-old director whose credits include Top Gun, True Romance, and most recently Unstoppable, jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro yesterday in an apparent suicide. Later today, we’ll be taking an in-depth look back at Scott’s life and work. [via LA Times]
2. Are you sick of Animal Collective news yet? Well, too bad, because they premiered their new album, Centipede Hz, on Animal Collective Radio last night. Don’t worry if you missed the initial transmission; you can still stream the record here.
3. Meanwhile, in full-album streams we’re even more excited about, you can hear all of Swans‘ two-hour masterpiece The Seer at NPR. Due out next Tuesday the 28th, it’s already a contender for album of the year at Flavorpill HQ.
4. Of course, the universe has a corrective for all this good music news: Azealia Banks‘ much-anticipated debut album, Broke With Expensive Taste, originally slated for September release, won’t be out until February 12, 2013. [via NME]
5. Vulture has an excerpt of Michael Chabon‘s new novel, Telegraph Avenue, which comes out September 11th.
Bonus Buzz: 20 Odd Inventions That Might Secretly Be Awesome