11. Judy Garland was outfitted with a blonde wig and heavy baby-doll makeup when filming started, but intermediate director George Cukor ditched the look in favor of a natural appearance.
12. Clara Blandick, who played Auntie Em, committed suicide in 1962 when her failing health became too much to bear. The first line of the note she left read: “I am now about to make the great adventure.”
13. The Wicked Witch’s makeup was toxic, so actress Margaret Hamilton lived on a liquid diet to avoid accidental ingestion. Her face stayed green for weeks after shooting finished due to the copper-based ingredients.
14. The tornado in the film was created with a 35-foot-long muslin stocking that was spun while dirt, dust, and wind blew against it. The Kansas farm was a miniature.
15. Judy Garland had a major giggle fit during the scene where she slaps the Cowardly Lion. In order to snap her out of it, Victor Fleming took her aside and surprised the actress by slapping her right before they filmed another take.