Imagine if The Beatles never wore those collarless suits, or if Madonna never wore a tattered wedding dress on MTV. What if David Bowie had never thought to transform into Ziggy Stardust, or Cher had never worn that glittery body stocking under a leather jacket on the Navy ship? No meat dress for Gaga, no ruffled shirt for Prince, no cape for James Brown, no trash bag jumpsuit for Missy Elliott. Fashion changes our perception of artists, particularly those who routinely get up in front of thousands to perform. If musicians so choose, style choices can reflect and support their artistic choices. Many of the 40 icons of personal style on this ranked list have used clothes in a conscious, specific… Read More
There’s just a week and a half left before the new Mad Men season rolls out, but in case the ’60s-style withdrawal is too much to bear, Ads Libitum has the graphic design beat covered. Run by David Redon, the Tumblr has been posting faux-aged ads starring pop culture figures from the last two decades since July 2013. Redon’s favorite subject is musicians, but the full site has a spot for Breaking Bad‘s Pollos Hermanos as well. Click through for thoroughly retro renditions of OutKast, Missy Elliott, Snoop Dogg, and more. … Read More
I could make a list of acts I’m excited to see at SXSW this year: Mark Kozelek, Sylvan Esso, Eagulls, London Grammar, Diarrhea Planet, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Perfect Pussy, Future, Sam Smith, Against Me!, and a lot more I won’t know about until I stumble upon them, tipsily, in the middle of the afternoon.
But half the fun of going to SXSW is improvising when you can’t get into shows or don’t want to deal with lines, in the process seeing artists you normally never would. So instead of focusing on my personal to-do list at SXSW Music, I want to take a look at the topics I expect will garner online chatter this week, once music industry folks and writers alike map out their own highly personalized schedules. Some will focus on the deeply sponsored events, like Lady Gaga performing in a Doritos vending machine, or the entirety of the iTunes Festival, while others will completely eschew the sort of shows that require a badge or even an RSVP. These should cover most of our bases, though. … Read More
Although the Andre 3000-starring Jimi Hendrix biopic, All Is By My Side, premiered at the Toronto International Film… Read More
Thanks to Justin Timberlake’s prominent roles in Inside Llewyn Davis, Friends With Benefits, and The Social Network, we’ve grown used to seeing the once peroxide-blonde ‘N SYNC star acting with aplomb on the big screen. No one else from the Billboard charts of the 2000s has made it to Timberlake’s level of feature-film success. But even JT started somewhere — namely, with the made-for-TV prince-and-pauper redux Model Behavior (2000). As it turns out, tons of other pop stars tried to earn their own “/actor” crowns in movies you may (The Aviator) or may not (Carmen: A Hip Hopera) have seen. In celebration (and in memoriam) of these forgotten career detours, we bring you 20 films that — surprisingly — feature pop stars from the beginning of the… Read More
1. R. Kelly says that he realized his marriage of 12 years was over after he watched The Notebook. No, seriously. “As the film credits started to roll, I couldn’t move,” he writes in his new memoir. “I burst into tears. People walking past me patted me on the back, trying to console me.” [via… Read More
1. Zooey Deschanel will play country singer Loretta Lynn in a new Broadway musical adaptation of Coal Miner’s Daughter, the same part that earned Sissy Spacek the Academy Award for Best Actress. [via ArtsBeat]
2. Last night’s George Clooney-/Jeffrey Katzenberg-hosted $40,000-a-plate fundraiser for President Obama brought in an estimated $15 million. That’s better… Read More
1. Here are an insane number of images from the highly-anticipated film adaptation of The Hunger Games, all scanned from a new book that we might need to own that’s called The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated Movie Companion.
2. Rumor is that Elizabeth Olsen is currently in talks to take… Read More