1. In case you missed it, Animal Collective went on Conan last night to promote their new album Centipede Hz, playing “Today’s Supernatural” behind set pieces that looked like weird glowing teeth. Watch a clip of the performance
1. Out of precaution Tom Brokaw has been taken to a hospital in Charlotte after feeling light-headed during an appearance on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. According to a statement from NBC News, “He is being evaluated and is in good spirits.” [via The Wrap]
A couple of weeks back, Stereogum posted one of their Premature Evaluation pieces about Animal Collective’s Centipede Hz, which at the time wasn’t due out for more than a week. After spending 500-ish words enthusing about the album’s “dark Tropicalia sound” and how the band sound “like a bunch of people who have never seen their instruments played before, but are extremely skilled with them,” the review, such as it is, concludes with the remarkable statement that “we need to accept the possibility of a record so excellent we don’t understand it yet.”
The implication here is that Animal Collective are somehow above criticism — if you don’t like Centipede Hz, Stereogum appears to be arguing, it’s probably because you don’t “get” it. Can this be true? Can this ever be true? … Read More
You know summer is well and truly over when the humidity recedes, the days start getting shorter and the big album releases start coming thick and fast. Yep, it’s almost time for the September rush, and this year the crop is particularly good — so much so, in fact, that we’ve expanded our usual round-up of 10 albums you need to hear in the month to come to a bumper list of 15. As ever, we’ve also rounded up the rest of the month’s notable releases: the good, the bad, and the ugly. So tell us: what are you looking forward to hearing in… Read More
1. Tony Scott, the 68-year-old director whose credits include Top Gun, True Romance, and most recently Unstoppable, jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro yesterday in an apparent suicide. Later today, we’ll be taking an in-depth look back at Scott’s life and work. [via LA Times]
2. Are you sick of… Read More
1. Awful (if not surprising) news from Russia: The verdict is in on the Pussy Riot trial, and three members of the feminist punk band and radical arts collective have been found guilty on charges of “hooliganism with intent to incite religious hatred.” We’ll post a more in-depth take on this developing story later today.… Read More
1. The Bourne Legacy knocked The Dark Knight Rises out of its number one spot at the weekend box office, taking in $40.3 million and proving that there are fewer Matt Damon loyalists out there than we’d assumed. Interestingly, the Batman movie didn’t come in second place either. That honor went to Zack Galifianakis and… Read More
1. Chris Marker, the renowned French New Wave filmmaker who made such classics as La jetée and Sans Soleil and paved the way for a more personal style of documentary film, is dead at 91. [via Guardian]
2. Last night, Animal Collective premiered “Today’s Supernatural,” the first single from their forthcoming album, Centipede Hz.… Read More
1. Four slightly different teasers for Pixar’s Monsters University, a prequel to Monsters, Inc. which focuses on Mike and Scully’s college years, have arrived online. Watch them all here.
2. Can we all agree that there’s no way that the new Sesame Street movie that’s in the works will be able to compete… Read More
1. If you haven’t seen the cover of this week’s Newsweek, which features a cover story by Andrew Sullivan on Barack Obama as the country’s first gay president — complete with a rainbow halo — here it is.
2. Jay-Z is curating and headlining the first-ever Budweiser Made in America music festival,… Read More