Death Cab For Cutie guitarist/multi-instrumentalist/producer Chris Walla has announced his departure from the band, after 17 years. He writes in… Read More
Jenny Lewis is the quintessential indie rock heroine. For the last 15 years, her emotionally honest anthems — both with Rilo Kiley and on her own — have soundtracked love and heartbreak, detailed familial drama, and aired dirty laundry with bandmates, all the while showing that it’s possible for a woman to be down but not out of the game. After a four-year hiatus, Lewis returns with her third solo LP, The Voyager (Warner Bros.), on July 29. It’s a confident album made in the face of personal struggle, including the death of Lewis’ father, the public dissolution of her band, and a mean bout of insomnia to boot.
Music is a passionate occupation to pursue, and it makes sense that some of our favorite musicians have, well, hooked up with some of our other favorite musicians in fiery ways throughout the years. This is something we’ve been chewing on ever since we first got former Fleetwood Mac co-figurehead Lindsey Buckingham’s last solo record,… Read More
2. Hot British actor of the moment Benedict Cumberbatch (who you might recognize from recent roles in War Horse or the BBC’s Sherlock) has come… Read More
Death Cab for Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard and New Girl star Zooey Deschanel have split up after a two-year marriage. (We’re still trying to ignore news about that other breakup.) The separation comes not long after Deschanel’s cover story in New York Magazine where hubby repeatedly gushed over the She and Him singer… Read More
This week’s mix is a little different. Specially curated by a North Ireland-based trio named after the mispronunciation of a local Tudor Cinema, this collection of ten songs showcases the eclectic influences that inspire their brand of catchy indie pop.
Two Door Cinema Club has already been featured as one of BBC’s Sounds of 2010 and opened for Phoenix. Their selections range from notables like Sufjan Stevens and Ben Gibbard to up and comers like Wild Nothing and Fool’s Gold. Click through the links to download the songs individually or all at once, after the jump, and read what Two Door Cinema Club has to say about each band. … Read More
It’s not enough to just be awesome at one thing anymore. More and more artists are multitasking, and we’re seeing a particular amount of crossover between the somewhat unlikely genres of music and literature. But wait — aren’t musicians supposed to be outgoing egomaniacs and aren’t writers supposed to be tweedy shut-ins? Well, the writer/musician isn’t exactly a new trend — remember Tarantula, Dylan’s stream-of-consciousness book of prose-poetry? And don’t forget that Leonard Cohen was actually a writer first. So maybe there’s something to this whole writer turned rockstar thing. Here are some multitaskers who make us feel bad about ourselves when we lie around the house all… Read More
John Krasinski’s adaptation of the wonderful David Foster Wallace’s short story collection Brief Interviews with Hideous Men is out in theaters. Well, theater really, since in New York it’s still playing exclusively at the IFC Center. But no matter. The real story blowing up the blogs is that Death Cab for Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard makes his acting debut in the film, looking like a cute potato as… Read More
1. An update from Alia Shawkat on the Arrested Development movie. [via Movieline]
2. This is real: “Guy Laliberte, the founder of Cirque du Soleil, rocketed into space today for a nine-day stay aboard the International Space Station, where he will lead a performance next week to raise awareness of water scarcity.” [via Bloomberg]
3. Seth Green and the “Robot Chicken” gang are bringing an animated project to FOX. [via THR]
4. There’s a new trailer for Wes Anderson’s Fantastic Mr. Fox that looks really good. [via Collider]
5. Listen to a track from One Fast Move or I’m Gone, the Kerouac-inspired album from Sun Volt’s Jay Farrar and Death Cab’s Ben Gibbard. [via… Read More