And now for an exciting bit of pop culture trivia: Spotted by our friends The Daily What, in this interview for the Archive of American Television, Dan Castellaneta, better known to you as the voice of Homer Simpson, explains how his character’s legendary catchphrase was born. As it turns out “d’oh” — written in the script simply as “annoyed grunt” — was inspired by Jimmy Finlayson from the Laurel and Hardy movies, but was shortened from “d’ooooooh” because Matt Groening thought it made for better pacing. Kind of incredible, right? … Read More
Did you know that today is National Doughnut Day? No, seriously! It’s a real thing! Apparently back in 1938 the Salvation Army decided that the first Friday in June should be set aside to honor the women who served soldiers on the front lines doughnuts during World War I. Today, it means that you can score free eats at various Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kremes, and Tim Hortons across the country. To go along with your glazed/jelly/old-fashioned/sprinkled goodie of choice, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite doughnut-loving characters from pop culture, from Buster Bluth to Liz Lemon. Let us know who we missed in the comments! … Read More
1. We had no idea President Obama had such a lovely singing voice. Here’s a clip of him serenading the crowd with some Al Green at a fundraiser held last night at the Apollo Theater.
2. In the wake of yesterday’s Megaupload shutdown, Anonymous attacked several government and entertainment industry websites, including the… Read More
1. The National Film Preservation Foundation and the New Zealand Film Archive have discovered the first 30 minutes of what is believed to be Alfred Hitchcock’s directorial debut, a 1923 British film called The White Shadow. If you live in LA, mark your calendars for September 22, when it will “re-premiere” at the Academy of… Read More
1. The artwork for Kanye West’s new album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, has apparently been banned. Although it’s not entirely clear by whom. [via Gawker]
2. “Few people know it, and he does everything he can to hide it, but it is true: Homer J Simpson is a Catholic,” says L’Osservatore… Read More
Today at Flavorpill, we got a look at the leaked script for J.J. Abrams’ new spy show, Undercovers. Spoiler alert: It’s very, very fast. We learned the word “tessellate,” thanks to the fine folks at Subway and their triangular pieces of cheese. We were tickled by how much butt cleavage can look like… Read More