Many awesome Stooges-related things have come out of the last week or so, not least the band’s new album (which is actually quite good) and their killer performance at New York’s Le Poisson Rouge. But perhaps most awesome of all is the photo that’s been making the rounds of Iggy clutching two kids in junior versions of his trademark sequined jeans. They look terrified, he looks delighted, and the whole thing is many kinds of awesome. So, in a similar spirit, here’s a selection of other debauched rock stars with cute kids. You’re… Read More
You may have seen an amusing drawing entitled “Beach Boyz N the Hood” doing the rounds of late. It’s the work of artist Justin Hager, who makes art depicting amusing imaginary pop cultural intersections. We came across a selection of his work at The Daily Dot, and giggled our way through the rest of Hager’s Tumblr in search of his best work. Check out a selection of our favorites after the jump — we may not know much about art, but we know what we like, and all that. (OK, we do actually know a bit about art, but the point is, these are hilarious.) … Read More
1. Björk is doing well after undergoing throat surgery earlier in the week. “I have to say, in my case anyway, surgery rocks!” she wrote on her website. “I stayed quiet for three weeks and then started singing and definitely feel like my cords are as good as pre-nodule! It’s been very satisfying to sing… Read More
Today at Flavorpill, we remembered several Nickelodeon toys most people probably forgot about. We found out what Lil Wayne vs. Rent sounds like. We enjoyed The Onion’s 1990s-riffic BuzzFeed ribbing. We practiced a series of bets that are proven winners. We loved seeing all the cute pups… Read More
1. Two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Elliott Carter passed away yesterday in Manhattan. He was 103 years old. In an obituary, The New York Times writes that his music “could seem harmonically brash and melodically sharp-edged on the first hearing, but it often yielded drama and lyricism on better acquaintance.”
2. Sources say that… Read More
1. According to TMZ, Lil Wayne was hospitalized yesterday in Texas after suffering “seizure-like symptoms” on his private jet, but has been released and is now “doing better.”
2. If you liked “Losing You” as much as we did, you’ll be happy to hear that Solange Knowles’ upcoming full-length called True will be… Read More
1. Rihanna’s “Diamonds,” the lead single off her untitled seventh album, has arrived online. Listen to the song — which was written by Sia, produced by Stargate and Benny Blanco, and includes 35 mentions of the word “diamond” — here.
2. Iconic singer Andy Williams — best known for songs like “Moon River”… Read More
The latest twist in the, um, unusual career of Lil B is his unlikely metamorphosis into a based rock god. The rapper unveiled his new guitar-toting incarnation earlier this week with the video to a new song called “California Boy,” in which he wanders around Guitar Center in LA and confesses his love for a terrified-looking passing lady. We have to be honest here: the song’s pretty terrible, making it the latest in a long line of ill-advised rap/rock crossover ventures. Not every rapper deciding to make a rock song/album has met with disaster, but plenty of them have — so we thought we’d make a handy primer of which such ventures to investigate, and which to avoid like threatening rabid animals. … Read More
1. Frank Ocean has decided to digitally release his debut solo album Channel Orange — a record which features collaborations with Earl Sweatshirt, John Mayer, and André 3000 — a week early. Stream it in full here.
2. Hans Zimmer’s score for The Dark Knight Rises has also arrived online. Listen to all… Read More