1. The Daily News is reporting that Jason Sudeikis was upset that Lorne Michaels singled out Kristen Wiig for a big SNL send-off; meanwhile, it still hasn’t been confirmed that he’s leaving the show. [via Pop Culture Brain]
2. A new HBO series starring Catherine Keener that will be written and directed by… Read More
1. Hooray! Stephen Colbert will resume taping his show tonight after taking some time off last week to reportedly care for his 91-year-old mother. “My family and I would like to thank everyone who has offered their thoughts and prayers,” he tweeted to fans. “We are grateful and touched by your concern.” [via … Read More
If we’ve got one major gripe with the more recent decades of Saturday Night Live, it’s the fact that the show — which at one time was fairly edgy — never takes big risks anymore. Case in point, just look at “Conspiracy Theory Rock,” a TV Funhouse segment from 1998 that lampoons the domination of the media by a handful of companies (including General Electric!); the catchy little clip only appeared in the original episode, and was later cut from subsequent airings because according to Lorne Michaels it simply “wasn’t funny.” Hmm. Now, thanks to a helpful tip from Marc Maron, you can now watch the segment in its entirety after the jump, and decide for yourself — just don’t blame us if you have “Media-opoly” stuck in your head for the rest of the day.
… Read More
1. Harvey Weinstein thinks that Saturday Night Live creator Lorne Michaels should replace Brett Ratner as the producer of this year’s Oscars, and that Tina Fey should be involved with writing material for host Eddie Murphy. No objections here. [via Deadline]
2. Exciting news for fans of Alison Bechdel’s excellent work: Her graphic… Read More
He’s been called (by us, even) “the black Mitch Hedberg,” but Brooklyn-via-Chicago comic Hannibal Buress is standing on his own with his first comedy album.
Hannibal (yes, that’s his real name) finds the absurd in the everyday on My Name Is Hannibal, from flaming cocktails and metal arms to fire SUVs and pickle juice. It’s his laid-back delivery that garners comparisons to Hedberg — but Buress’ stand-up is consistently edgier and far more constructed. The SNL writer has performed with everyone from Aziz Ansari to The Daily Show‘s John Oliver, and New Yorkers can see him weekly at his comedy revue at the Knitting Factory Brooklyn.
… Read More
Vulture reports that Lorne Michaels has decided to fire both Michaela Watkins and Casey Wilson from the cast of Saturday Day Night Live. We could kind of care less about Wilson (she was kind of like a bad version of Bonnie Hunt), but we have to agree with Mark Graham — the thought of no more Angie Tempura from bitchpleeze.com is a little hard to swallow. One of Tempura’s final appearances on Weekend Update after the… Read More
Del Toro to take on Pinocchio: Guillermo del Toro has taken on yet another project — a stop-motion version of Pinocchio. He’s signed to work with the Jim Henson Co., Gris Grimly and Adam Parrish King. Though the lying wooden doll seems more innocuous than some of the director’s upcoming protagonists (Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde), he claims that he will make this version “darker” than what we’re used to from the children’s book. [Variety]
… Read More