We’re not usually ones for base humor, but a little surrealist veggie-based lewdness never hurt anybody. To celebrate World Vegan Day and promote the er, apparently very positive ramifications of a vegan diet, PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) commissioned Fallon to create this ad full of dudes showing off their extremely phallic vegetables with all maner of gyrating and bouncing. Yes, it’s totally puerile and absurd, but for our money, pretty darn effective. At least, um, we couldn’t look away. Click through to watch the video, and let us know what you think in the comments.
… Read More
1. After facing the ire of many professional musicians, Amanda Palmer has announced that she’ll now pay the volunteer string, brass, and saxophone players who have been joining her on stage with money — not just “beer, hugs, merch, free tickets, and love.” [via ArtsBeat]
2. Best Coast is opening for Green Day… Read More
Frequent readers of the site know that we’re partial to this silly photo of Morrissey scowling at the camera with a cat perched on top of his head. Apparently, the controversial animal rights activists at PETA love the image too — so much, that they’re using a very similar shot to promote a new campaign about the importance of spaying and neutering your pets.
Here are a few words from Moz on the topic of overpopulation: “Despite the fact that they’re incredibly intelligent, animals unfortunately haven’t yet worked out how to slip on a rubber, which is why thousands of them are being put to sleep in overcrowded shelters and thousands more are desperately waiting to be adopted. Letting cats or dogs have litters is tantamount to shooting shelter animals in the head since it kills their chances of adoption. Please do the right thing and spay or neuter your animals.”
The fact that PETA feels the frequent need to be sexually provocative in order to get its message across to a wide audience is nothing new. But in this latest spot — where that message seems to be, if you’re lucky enough to be dating a vegan dude, you’ll have sex that’s so rough that it will put you in a neckbrace and brainwash you into buying him bags of vegetable fuel — seems like a strange misstep to me. In fact, it might be even worse than when they launched that animal-friendly porn site. Watch the questionable clip after the jump, and be sure to weigh in with your opinion in the comments. Or just explain to me why Jessica is suddenly smiling and in her underwear.
… Read More
1. Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol topped a holiday weekend box office that was slightly down compared to this time last year, pulling in an estimated $26.5 million. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows landed in second place with $17.8 million, and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked finished in third with $13.3 million. [via … Read More
Say what you will about the controversial animal rights activists at PETA, but we’re excited that they’ve finally found a way to promote vegetarianism without exploiting women and spreading misinformation. Yes, although we don’t generally endorse their tactics, we’re fairly charmed by the set of stamps they’ve teamed up with the USPS to produce, featuring such famous vegetarians as Morrissey, Joan Jett, Gandhi, Natalie Portman, Leonardo da Vinci, Russell Simmons, and Paul McCartney. Score a sheet for yourself — or the vegan stamp collector/snail mail enthusiast on your holiday shopping list — at PETA’s website.
… Read More
Today at Flavorpill, we enjoyed BuzzFeed’s thoughtful analysis of 26 years of People Magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive.” We loved this new anti-bullying PSA by the talented filmmakers over at Everynone. We were impressed by Jason Segel’s hair in the new promos for this week’s episode of Saturday Night Live.… Read More
PETA recently announced plans to launch an adult website in December. The proposed online porn hub appears to be inspired by an extended ad campaign, with nude celebrities like Todd Oldham, Christy Turlington, Pamela Anderson, and others saying they’d “rather go naked than wear fur.” The organization — which has already worked with porn professionals… Read More
1. Fellow comedians Russell Brand and Kristen Wiig have been named PETA’s Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrities of 2011. [via PopEater]
2. A decade after originally taking a stab at the project, Jeff Bridges has reacquired the rights to the Lois Lowry children’s classic The Giver. His plan was originally to give his dad the… Read More