One’s home is quite possibly the most true reflection of self, and our returning (insert jumping for joy and disorderly jubilation) First Family’s White House is no exception. A testament to their positive influence that’s inspired a nation again, one of the things on their agenda the first go around was planting a garden ala Alice Waters, the local food movement’s Grand Dame who’s been championing universal access to healthy, organic foods since the ’70s. Next up was a forward thinking chef to revamp the White House kitchen and help out with Let’s Move, and a celebrated Hollywood interior designer to make their living spaces chic and comfortable.
In honor of the ever-inspiring Obama’s homestead, we thought we’d take a look at other beautiful presidential dwellings around the world. From our own great nation’s extra large Georgian country house to Pritzker Prize-winner Oscar Niemeyer’s ode to simplicity and modernity in Brazil, click through to virtually visit our picks for the most beautiful presidential pied-à-terres on the planet. Nominate any that you think we’ve missed in the comments below!
… Read More
President Barack Obama took to Reddit for one of the website’s popular “Ask Me Anything” threads. After moderators and administrators confirmed it was indeed him — backed up by a post from his verified Twitter account and a photo (pictured) — the forum exploded with questions, asking about everything from felines to foreign… Read More
Today at Flavorpill, We saw who “got your 6.” We felt cosmic with Tweets in space. We honored the Hall of Femmes in graphic design. We were hypnotized by abstract skater shadows. We watched President Obama’s message for the It Gets Better project. We discovered an… Read More
How do you ensure that the seventeen-minute promotional clip about your candidate’s first term in office feels more like an inspiring movie than a lame commercial? You hire an Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker like Davis Guggenheim to shoot it, you get the most likable actor in Hollywood to provide the narration, and you set the entire thing to an appropriately dramatic, swelling soundtrack.
“How do we understand this president and his time in office?” Tom Hanks asks us in the trailer. “Do we look at the day’s headlines or do we remember what we as a country have been through?” We know! We know the right answer, Mr. Hanks! We remember what we as a country have been through! Look for The Road We’ve Traveled to officially debut online on March 15th.
… Read More
Producer and studio mogul Harvey Weinstein recently sent a letter to President Obama rejecting his film proposal. “The President sent me a book the other day and said, ‘Why don’t you make this into a movie?’ … I can’t tell you [what it was]. It was a spy novel,” Weinstein recently told The Times —… Read More
1. Today is President Obama’s 50th birthday! The celebrating already began last night with a fundraiser for his 2012 campaign in Chicago that featured performances by Jennifer Hudson, OK Go, and Herbie Hancock. [via The Daily Beast]
2. According to Us Weekly, Carey Mulligan and Marcus Mumford (better known as the frontman for… Read More
This photo of him gleefully enjoying a shave ice during his annual Hawaiian holiday vacation would suggest that yes, in fact, he is. In fact, according to Politico, President Obama was in such a good mood that he treated the reporters who had been following him and his entourage of kids and adults… Read More
1. Sir Elton John and David Furnish have become parents to their first child, Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John. “We are overwhelmed with happiness and joy at this very special moment,” the told US Magazine. “Zachary is healthy and doing really well, and we are very proud and happy parents.”
2. In yet another… Read More
1. In case you missed it last night, here’s President Obama’s interview on The Daily Show. Our favorite part had to be when Jon Stewart referred to the president as “dude.”
2. Despite our issues with this week’s Rocky Horror-themed episode of Glee, we’ve got high hopes for this coming week. Rumor is… Read More
Today at Flavorpill, we fell madly in love with Pauladeenisms. We looked at photos of pets dressed up like famous people. We wondered how many kids are going to try and grow mustaches after watching this Sesame Street clip. We learned some things we didn’t know about… Read More