1. As Gawker gleefully reports, it’s definitely time to take off those yellow rubber bracelets. Lance Armstrong has stepped down as chair of the Livestrong charity and lost his Nike endorsement deal just a week after a US anti-doping agency released their report on his use of performance-enhancing drugs.
2. Obligatory Janis Joplin… Read More
Of all the celebrity weddings we wish we could attend — and actually, there aren’t many — David Cross and Amber Tamblyn’s ranks near the top of the list. It’s not just that we like the couple, although we do think they’re excellent. But we’re mostly jealous that they got Yo La Tengo to be their wedding band, and also figured their guest list would be a lot more fun than some Kardashian-style affair. So we’re grateful that, thanks to Questlove, we can see for ourselves just how fun the party was. Warming Glow points us to The Roots drummer’s Instagram account, where he posted several photos of last weekend’s festivities. Click through to play paparazzi and see some of our favorite shots from the woodsy wedding. (Yes, Amy Poehler fans, there is something here for you.)
… Read More
Today at Flavorpill, we practiced 20 pickup lines for the subway. We hoped dictionaries everywhere weren’t offended by the addition of words like F-bomb, man cave, and sexting. We explored a Hezbollah theme park in the Lebanese town of Mleeta. We wondered which Expendables 2 star was the most expendable.… Read More
1. Thank god Jimmy Fallon decided to do another installment of his hilarious Downton Abbey parody “Downton Sixbey” — and this time we have Whoopi Goldberg playing Questlove’s mother. [via Vulture]
2. The critical consensus to the premiere of Kanye’s 26-minute “sensory experience” at the Cannes Film Festival seems to be that… Read More
The new Mars Volta album is out this week, and while we’ve not always been able to digest the band’s multi-part prog opuses, we’ve always admired them for at least one reason: their hair. We don’t want to be overly superficial here, but core Mars Volta duo Cedric Bixler-Zavala and Omar Rodríguez-López have sported two of the best Afros in music over the last decade or so, and the duo’s hair has inspired serious Afro envy in irredeemably white and boringly straight-haired music journalists like us. So to celebrate the release of Noctourniquet, we thought we’d have a light-hearted look at some of the other glorious ‘fros that have bedizened the world of music over the years. Who did we miss?
… Read More
1. Ryan Seacrest may be taking over Matt Lauer’s anchor spot at Today. Our gut instinct is that this would be horrible, but given the number of thrilling moments Kathie Lee’s unlikely presence on the morning news show has bestowed upon us all, maybe it’s a good thing? [via THR]
2. Here is… Read More
Today at Flavorpill, we met 100 of the greatest movie villains. We loved this hilarious Thanksgiving-themed spoof on The Hunger Games from McSweeney’s. We heartily agreed with this Thanksgiving Food Pyramid. We found it incredibly endearing that Cameron Crowe made Matt Damon a really sad mixtape to… Read More
Today is World Vegetarian Day, the official kickoff of the North American Vegetarian Society’s annual Vegetarian Awareness Month. In honor of the unofficial holiday, we decided to seek out some of the more surprising famous meat shunners. Maybe these unlikely herbivores will help convince you that anyone can do it. Or maybe they’ll just make you want to go eat a burger. Either way, enjoy!
… Read More