Designer Van Orton made these gorgeous, intricate stained-glass posters for iconic ’80s movies, including Back to the Future, The Goonies, and Blade Runner, which we spotted at This Isn’t Happiness. The resulting prints are a clever, colorful ode to a golden age of popcorn flicks that still inspire semi-religious devotion in so many film fans. There are also some black-and-white versions, which could make for a fun (albeit ambitious) paint-by-numbers project. Check out more of Orton’s work on his Facebook page. … Read More
Some things, like this Great Gatsby/Mean Girls meme mash-up, are just perfect. There’s a Robocop statue going up in Detroit, because that’s just what the city of Detroit has been clamoring for. Astronaut Chris Hadfield is the best thing to happen to space travel in a long time; we celebrated his… Read More
Your Flavorwire resisted the temptation to wade into the recent controversy over those collectible figures from Quentin Tarantino’s Djanjo Unchained, but we’ll say this much: it’s important to remember that those toys were aimed at adult collectors, while we can recall (or have managed to suppress our memories) of some thoroughly strange movie tie-ins from our youth that were aimed directly at kids. After the jump, stroll back to the ‘80s with us, when any movie was marketable to anyone, no matter how bizarre or inappropriate. … Read More
1. Some leaked photos of Joel Kinnaman wearing his RoboCop suit on the set of Jose Padilha’s upcoming remake are drawing criticism from film bloggers due to its derivative, Dark Knight-inspired design. [via Huff Post]
2. Rob Reiner and Jamie Lee Curtis will guest star on the upcoming season of The New Girl… Read More
1. Here’s a clip of Orbital and Stephen Hawking performing at the opening ceremony for the Paralympics, which just kicked off in London. Those Hadron Collider dancers might be our favorite part.
2. A Doctor Horrible sequel within the next year? We don’t know how Joss Whedon is going to find the room… Read More
1. Of course Danny Boyle’s plans for the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony include mosh pits. Also: fake rain thanks to “real clouds that will be hanging over the stadium”; “real grass,” “real soil,” and “real plows”; and exactly nine geese. [via Gawker]
2. Hugh Laurie is currently in negotiations to join Gary Oldman,… Read More
Can you imagine if you had to spend your days pretending to be an insipid billionaire playboy when all you really cared about was fighting crime in the streets of Gotham City and avenging your parents’ deaths? What if you were a sarcastic, lone-wolf smuggler who got suckered into helping a group of crazy young rebels fight the Galactic Empire only to end up sealed away in carbonite? How would you react if you discovered that as a baby demon you were summoned to earth from the depths of hell by a group of Nazi occultists?
We think Roberto Salvador’s Screaming Heroes series, spotted over on Design You Trust, about sums things up. As the Brussels-based graphic designer explains it, “They’re fed up of saving the world, they’re angry, they’re screaming their guts out.” Click through to see a selection of his extremely frustrated pop culture heroes. … Read More
What do Batman, Darth Vader, and the Phantom of the Opera have in common? Well, besides being fictional characters, they all wear instantly recognizable masks. Spanish graphic designer Alejandro de Antonio Fernández has recognized this and created a collection of bold, somewhat minimalist posters celebrating film’s most iconic masks, from The Silence of the Lambs to V for Vendetta. Check out a selection of our favorites from the series after the jump, then visit Behance to see the rest, and purchase affordable prints at Society 6, perhaps for the cinephile (or Anonymous member) on your holiday shopping list. … Read More
1. In response to Sports Illustrated’s annual swimsuit issue, Tyler Green of Modern Art Notes has decided to compile his own swimsuit publication. We don’t know about you, but we think that Picasso looks kind of airbrushed… [via Kottke]
2. For some reason Rush Limbaugh spent part of yesterday’s show implying that Michelle… Read More