1. Last night Madonna released a sneak preview of her music video for “Give Me All Your Luvin’,” which she’ll be performing at the Super Bowl this weekend– presumably with some help from Nicki Minaj and MIA, who co-wrote the song. Watch the full-length version of the football-inspired clip here.
2. Not to… Read More
Matt Momchilov has been digging around in our subconscious. That was our first thought upon seeing the publicity image for the artist’s new show, They Really Want You, at San Francisco’s Unspeakable Projects: a sculpture of a drag queen dressed as Courtney Love ca. 1994, clutching a studded leather jacket bearing a portrait of Roseanne Barr. Momchilov approaches pop culture through a distinctly queer and countercultural lens; the Roseanne piece is part of a series of leather jackets that replace the expected macho, heterosexual hardcore heroes — Henry Rollins, Ian MacKaye — with his own pantheon of Stevie Nicks, Robert Mapplethorpe, and John Waters. While celebrating these icons, Momchilov is also dramatizing fans’ relationships to the stars they worship. Click through for some highlights from They Really Want You, and if you’re in the Bay Area, be sure to stop by and see the show in person before it closes December 1st.
… Read More
1. The 63rd annual Primetime Emmys aired last night. Modern Family — which took home just about every award it was nominated for, including Best Comedy Series — was the big winner, with Mad Men winning Best Drama Series and Downton Abbey practically sweeping the miniseries category. We’ve already rounded up the evening’s most awkward moments… Read More
1. The Spike Jonze-directed video for Jay-Z and Kanye West‘s “Otis” is such a big deal that it will premiere tonight at 8:56pm on MTV, MTV2, mtvU, MTV.com, and BET. [via MTV]
2. Roseanne Barr is planning to followup her delightful new Lifetime reality show with a sitcom called Downwardly Mobile that’s about… Read More
Today at Flavorpill, we wished that the world had more adorable skydiving grannies like 82-year-old birthday girl/lifelong daredevil Judy Wade. We discovered that Mad Men screenshots and Arrested Development dialogue go surprisingly well together. We couldn’t believe that ABC thinks that they can replace Roseanne Barr with the likes… Read More
As you might remember, we were pretty excited about Roseanne Barr’s return to prime-time TV with Lifetime’s Roseanne’s Nuts, a reality series that chronicles her life as a macadamia farmer in Hawaii. Two weeks in, we are pleased to report that it does not disappoint — there’s drama, profanity, humor, tenderness, and ample nuttiness, too. The highlight of the two episodes that aired last night was a scene that had Roseanne singing “The Star-Spangled Banner” at a Little League game. Yes, the folks in charge of kiddie baseball actually handed the mic to a woman famous for butchering the national anthem and then grabbing her crotch at an MLB game back in 1990 — and it’s a good thing they did! Roseanne redeemed herself with a respectful rendition that also proved she isn’t a bad singer. Watch her nail it after the jump.
… Read More
Today at Flavorpill, we were freaked out by this owl imprint which was supposedly left behind after the bird crashed into a window in the UK. We watched Mario climb a vine for an insanely long amount of time — but not the full 10 hours. We found out a few… Read More
As big Roseanne Barr fans, we have to admit that our most anticipated TV premiere of the summer isn’t Curb Your Enthusiasm or even The Hour; it’s Roseanne’s Nuts, the Lifetime reality series that follows Barr’s adventures as a macadamia nut farmer in Hawaii. Vulture has posted a few clips from the show, and while they judge it to be “nuts,” we think it looks like everything we hoped it would be — namely, Roseanne swearing like a sailor, bossing everyone around, and generally being the smartest, crankiest lady in the room. Watch three snippets of Roseanne’s Nuts and follow along as we enumerate what we enjoy about the preview after the jump.
… Read More
1. Today in Sarah Palin news: The state of Alaska will release 24,000 pages of its former governor’s emails to members of the press who have requested them (note: they’ll have to pay the shipping fees for the five boxes, which weigh 55 pounds apiece). Last night in Sarah Palin news: She took a break… Read More