We’ll be the first ones to admit that before 30 Rock’s Tracy Jordan made it his life’s mission to win an EGOT (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony), we’d never really heard the term used. That might be because the list of people who have managed to win all four awards in their lifetime is only 10 members strong — 12 if you count Liza Minnelli and Barbra Streisand, who kind of EGOT-ed thanks to a “Special Tony Award” and “Special Grammy Award” respectively. After looking at the numbers, we think it might help Tracy’s chances if he became a composer. Or an actress. Click through to peruse the full list and commit it to memory; you can thank us later when this information helps you win a free bar tab at trivia night.
1. Richard Rodgers (composer) – 1962
2. Helen Hayes (actress) – 1976
3. Rita Moreno (actress) – 1977
4. John Gielgud (actor) – 1991
5. Audrey Hepburn (actress) – 1994
6. Marvin Hamlisch (composer) – 1995
7. Jonathan Tunick (composer) – 1997
8. Mike Nichols (director) – 2001
9. Mel Brooks (director/writer/actor) – 2001
10. Whoopi Goldberg (actress) – 2002
There are a whopping 59 people who have won in three out of the four competitive categories, otherwise known as a 3GOT. Our money is on Julie Andrews, who is only missing a Tony, as the next to star to crossover.