Last Friday, Long Island swelled with torrential rain showers as over 15,000 Phish fans (some with tickets and some without) descended upon the Jones Beach amphitheater to catch the end of the epic band’s three-night run in Wantagh. While the four hirsute band members brought joy into the hearts of their delirious and dancing fans, there was plenty to irk the unconverted. After the jump, a list of highlights for phans and non-phans alike.
Phan Pleasers (reasons to celebrate)
1. The rain (great for dancing)
2. “Wilson” opener (not Tom Hanks’ volleyball, but an infamous fan favorite)
3. Drummer Jon Fishman played the vacuum during “I Didn’t Know”
4. “Boogie On Reggae Woman” cover
5. A nasty “Down with Disease”/”Twist” 2nd set opener
6. An “Oye Como Va” jam in the middle of “Twist”
7. The oceanic backdrop and excellent sound system
8. $5 Ponchos in the parking lot
Phissed Off (reasons to talk trash)
1. Inclement weather
2. Trey never thanked the audience for coming to see them in the rain.
3. The Nikon at Jones Beach does not sell beer.
4. Wet stadium seating= slip & slide on your ass
5. Undercover cops on Shakedown Street take down bleeding hippies selling speedy drugs.
6. Wet quesadillas on Shakedown Street
7. $20 nitrous balloons after the show
8. Traffic and a long wait for the train ride back to NYC