Whether it’s chasing a story, shooting a movie, or pitching an innovative new technology platform, our favorite cultural innovators are always on the move — and showing off their style while they do it. On the Road follows the most stylish and interesting culture-makers and takes a look at how they travel.
Matt Galligan is the founder and CEO of Circa, a hot new news app based in San Francisco. Thanks to Refinery29’s recent “30 Under 30” feature, we knew to go to him for stylish travel tips. Read on to find out how you can win the UGG for Men Hannen boots Galligan is sporting here. (All photos by Bonnie Chan.)
What are your top 3 must-pack items when you’re traveling for business? What about when you’re traveling for pleasure?
For business, my must-haves are:
• My iPad mini and ZAGG keyboard that basically turns it into a mini laptop
• A versatile suit that can be pieced apart so I can just wear the jacket, the pants, or both. Makes for an instantly larger travel wardrobe.
• Mophie Powerstation Duo — I’m able to charge while on the go with this battery. With either my iPhone or my iPad, I never have to worry about being without juice.
• Kindle Paperwhite — while my iPad could easily act as a book-reader, I find that using my Kindle keeps me away from other distractions
• Aeropress — you never know where you can get good coffee when traveling, so I like to bring my own brewing method to ensure I get a quality cup no matter where I go
• Jawbone Jambox — this bluetooth speaker keeps me rocking some tunes no matter where I’m at
Any frequent-flier tips to stay sane at the airport or on long flights?
Typically I like to either load up my iPad with movies or television shows that I’ve missed, or settle in to a good book on my Kindle. One key to everything is a good pair of noise-canceling headphones or earbuds. My current ones of choice are the Ultimate Ears UE 900’s.
Give us some recent in-flight reading or music you’ve enjoyed.
Whenever I’m flying, I like to pop in to the newsstand and get a paper magazine since you don’t have to turn them off during takeoff and landing. My go-tos are Wired, Inc, and Fast Company. I’ll almost always find some interesting reads in there. Lately I’ve been listening to BT’s A Song Across Wires album to keep my ears engaged while in flight.
What do you do to keep your feet comfortable during your travels?
Being a tall guy means that my legs and feet are generally the least comfortable part of me when traveling. But untying my shoes and just kicking back are enough to get me a bit more comfortable when in the air.
What are you working on now, and why does it mean a lot of travel?
I’m the CEO & Co-founder of Circa, a news company that’s working to save people time while still being able to stay informed. We have potential partners all across the globe, as well as investors we often interact with that are spread out. Sometimes I’m also traveling to conferences to speak on behalf of my company — like an upcoming trip I have to Ireland at the end of the month.
What’s the coolest place you’ve been?
That’d have to be Ireland. My family emigrated from there a long time ago, so it has a strange feeling of home to me each and every time I visit. Between the pace of Dublin, the beauty of the countryside, and the friendliness of the people, it’s a hard place to not love.
What’s your travel footwear must-have?
My go-to travel shoes need to be super versatile. Stylish, yet comfortable. It’s always a plus when I’m able to get them off and on fast when going through airport security, as well as staying comfortable when walking miles in my destination city.