On this day in 1964, a child named Courtney Michelle Harrison was born to a pair of hippie parents in California. A few decades later, having changed her last name to “Love,” she would become one of the most famous — and divisive — musicians on the planet. Besides making the Gen-Xers (and even early millennials like your co-authors) out there feel ancient, Courtney Love’s 50th birthday is the perfect excuse for a few superfans to celebrate something that often gets lost amid all the tabloid headlines: her music. In our highly subjective opinion, these are the 25 best songs Love has ever recorded; tell us about your favorites in the comments.
25. “Pacific Coast Highway” — Hole (Nobody’s Daughter)
24. “Hold On to Me” — Courtney Love (America’s Sweetheart)
23. “Samantha” — Hole (Nobody’s Daughter)
22. “Skinny Little Bitch” — Hole (Nobody’s Daughter)
21. “But Julian, I’m a Little Bit Older Than You” — Courtney Love (America’s Sweetheart)