RJD2, the indie DJ best known for making the Mad Men theme song, released his newest single, “Peace of What” (feat. Jordan Brown), today to signal the coming of his next album, Dame Fortune. His label Electrical Connections announced that it’ll be available March 25.
Dame Fortune, RJD2’s sixth full-length album, was recorded in part while the DJ lived in Philadelphia, and will take cues from the city of Brotherly Love’s soul scene.
“I didn’t have any cultural context for this music that I liked—it was just music that I had stumbled across as a beat making nerd,” RJD2 said in a statement. “Philly was a place where there were enough people who had the same musical vocabulary that I did, which made the music more than something I had just discovered on my own.”
That soul influence makes a strong appearance on piano and choir-filled components of “Peace of What.”
“When I hear people talk of peace in America, the discrepancy between our words and our actions can get fatiguing,” RJD2 said of the song . “I was trying to reflect the experience of people I know, which often feels like, ‘We’re not ACTUALLY trying to do anything about this problem in our country.’”
Dame Fortune will also feature an orchestral composition called “PF Day One,” (that’s “Post Ferguson”) about the impact of “the societal unrest experienced in this day and age.”
In addition to the album, the artist also announced the dates for his 2016 tour, which begins in mid-January and will carry on through May 29.
- Tue. Jan. 12 – Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Bowl
- Wed. Jan. 13 – Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Bowl
- Sat. Jan. 30 – Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre
- Sat. Feb. 20 – Austin, TX @ Empire Garage
- Sat. Feb. 27 – Pittsburgh, PA @ Mr. Smalls Theatre
- Fri. March 11 – Lancaster, PA @ Chameleon Club
- Fri. April 8 – Los Angeles, CA @ Teragram Ballroom
- Sat. April 9 – San Francisco, CA @ The Independent
- Fri. April 29 – Chicago, IL @ Metro
- Sat. May 28 – Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
- Sun. May 29 – Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
You can listen to “Piece of What” and check out the album art for Dame Fortune below.